Cameron House Marina Members' Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What's the Cameron House experience like??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jellybean

Jellybean

What's the Cameron House experience like?? Empty
PostSubject: What's the Cameron House experience like??   What's the Cameron House experience like?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 am

Hi all, just a general question for berth holders at Cameron.....how good are the facilities and do you think the marina represents good value for money?

I know berthing / mooring on the loch costs a premium but it makes me wonder, for the cost/facilities wouldn't one of the "proper" marinas on the coast represent better value not to mention a wider cruising area for larger boats?

Other than somewhere to moor your boat away from the madenning crowd what does DeVere offer a boater that others don't? I can see the personal benefits of location / preference etc. but can't see many others.

Just a thought

Clyde
Back to top Go down
thecarboss

thecarboss

PostSubject: Re: What's the Cameron House experience like??   What's the Cameron House experience like?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:35 am

I've been in the marina since 95' prior to that 4 years over in Balmaha and a couple launching from Balloch (now on my seventh boat).
Probably everyone will have their own reasons for using CH.

1/ Fresh water,so much less maintainance.

2/ Walk on pontoon with 365 days of shore power. Fridge and food lockers always stocked. spare clothes, my beds are always made up and heating always on just a peep so when I arrive on the boat i'm ready to go within a few minutes.

3/ The current standards of the bars both in the hotel and at the marina are expensive but exellent. I suppose you have to think about where you have your drink and not how much it costs ( Well not too much). If the food and drink was cheaper it would be much busier and although they could do with just a bit more atmosphere I for one like to go there to get away from my busy working life and relax for a few hours.

4/The weather and lack of tides means that the loch is useable all year round and is an extremely safe piece of water when you know your way around.

5/ I do entertain on the boat sometimes and guests are always very impressed by the marina and although we are very used to it, generally my friends are not and they feel special for the day. ( Although next time i'll check that Johns not on his sealine and set my buffet up on his saloon and pretend its mine for the day Very Happy )

6/ Fresh water pipe at the rear of the boat.

7/ The hotel grounds are stunning in the summer and we often walk round them and I cant think of any other marina with a golf course on its land.

As for value for money, that will be contentious as we don't get what our money prommised us ( security for one) but i have a friend with a caravan up north who pays the same as us and his facilities not even close. I use the boat as a bolthole instead of going abroad more often where a weekend in Itally can cost £1500.

Cruising with any boat in the clyde can get pretty dangerous very quickly when the weather turns but on the loch you never feel unsafe and there are loads of havens if you have to get out of the weather quickly.

I'm sure there's more but its early and I need to get on with some work.

Good question though look forward to the other answers. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitemotorcompany.com
Jellybean

Jellybean

PostSubject: Re: What's the Cameron House experience like??   What's the Cameron House experience like?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 am

All very good points Paul and ones that I'd consider too.

The reason I was asking was that I've just returned to the loch having been down at Largs Haven for the past few years and although I enjoyed the location, sailing and the people (even the cost) I didn't like the damage it was doing to my boat. Now I've returned to where it all began.......

I'm considering changing my boat and would need to moor it(too big to trail) and thought about CH but I don't know too much about it...hence the rather open and pointed question before I enquire about berths.

Ta

Clyde.
Back to top Go down
zappy_w

PostSubject: Re: What's the Cameron House experience like??   What's the Cameron House experience like?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:17 pm

It amuses me this website. Most of the boats in cameron house dont move! Why spend the money there if the members dont like it. i would love to bring my boat to the marina and there is a waiting list! it cant b that a bad marina. Every marina has break ins. Its a way of life!
Back to top Go down
thecarboss

thecarboss

PostSubject: Re: What's the Cameron House experience like??   What's the Cameron House experience like?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi Zappy and welcome to the forum.

I think that any marina forum would have opinions on every aspect of marina life and services. On the whole I am very happy at CH and would recomend it to anyone over others we have visited.

Like any organisation there is always room for improvement and by bringing up discussions we can always hope that someone can take note and rectify the situation for the benefit of both members and the company.

Glad to see more new members here and all opinions are welcome.

Not so happy to hear there is a waiting list.......................get ready for the next price increase in fee's............. pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitemotorcompany.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What's the Cameron House experience like??   What's the Cameron House experience like?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Zappy, welcome to the forum.

Most of the members on the forum do move their boats, and quite regularly at that. See the gallery for proof!

In general the marina is great, the location and friendly, helpful staff being a couple of the reasons. However, there are some issues that need sorted out.

For example, security. Fair enough, break ins do happen, we accepted that the first time. But when you are paying around £3500 to keep your boat in the marina, you don't expect thieves to be smashing their way into it with crow bars, especially in a 5-star, supposedly secure resort. As you have probably seen on the forum, thefts have now occurred on a number of occasions. This is why we are finding it more that 'a way of life', even more so as some members have recently seen, there still seems to be a serious issue.

I hope that you don't just see this site as negative, attacking the marina, but as a social place, for helping fellow boaters and sharing your experiences and I hope you and others will contribute to this Smile

Cheers
Admin
Back to top Go down
http://www.cameronmarina.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the Cameron House experience like??   What's the Cameron House experience like?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's the Cameron House experience like??
Page 1 of 1