Cameron House Marina Members' Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Severe weather warning

Go down 
+2
anjo
thecarboss
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thecarboss

thecarboss

Severe weather warning Empty
PostSubject: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 8:12 am

Just received an e-mail from Colin at the marina. I was up at 5am on sunday and the water is very high, the main entrance ramp was level with the pontoon.

I know all the marina members will get this but wanted to pass it on to other boaters on the loch.

====================================================================================
Severe Weather Warning 23/11/09

Having tracked the long range weather forecast we have become aware of a severe low pressure building in the Atlantic due to pass over the country towards the end of this week.

It may come to nothing but I feel we can’t take the chance and I would like to notify all the marina members of the severity of the winds forecast for Tuesday night, Wednesday and more importantly Sunday, Monday.

I would like to urge all members who are still in the water to recheck their fenders and ropes please replace any worn ropes as they may part in conditions such as these.

If any vessel is too close to the jetty it will suffer damage due to the ropes stretching and boat movement.

I have attached a link to a popular web site showing the weather forecast for Sunday it is worth tracking.

Again all tenders and anything considered loose should be tied down and secured.

Please make a point to check and re-secure your vessel I hate to see vessels damaged purely through worn ropes or tied too close to the jetty.

http://www.windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=47803

Kind Regards

Colin

==========================================================================================
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitemotorcompany.com
anjo

anjo

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:08 am

Hi Paul,

I remember a few years back quite a few boats on A leg and C leg got stern damage due to the high swells breaking through the break water. Better to adjust the ropes and give a couple of feet between the stern and the pontoon plus double up the mooring lines on the cleats. I broke a bow and midships lines back then, so
I have fitted mooring springs to my lines this year to prevent the ropes taking all of the shock.

John
Back to top Go down
Jumpy07

Jumpy07

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:16 am

Tue night.. and all of Wed up to Wed Evening look like being really bad..

• Wind for Tuesday Wind: SSW 23mph, Gust 51mph

• Wind for Wednesday Wind: SW 36mph, Gust 81mph

• Wind for Thursday Wind: WSW 20mph, Gust 51mph

• Wind for Friday Wind: W 9mph, Gust 24mph

Force 9 Tue to Thur practically.. F8 Rest of time.. Heavy Rain Tue

CJ
Back to top Go down
http://www.boatlochlomond.com
anjo

anjo

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:22 am

Colin,

Wind conditions are typical of a Scottish breeze on the Loch, but I will not be taking chances as I was caught out the last time we had severe weather.

John
Back to top Go down
thecarboss

thecarboss

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:29 am

I'm heading up this afternoon to fix a few niggly things so I will be sorting ropes and fenders as well....just in case.
Back to top Go down
anjo

anjo

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:12 am

Been to the marina and added extra ropes just in case. Noticed that the loch is getting pretty full of water as the marina slipway is totally flooded. So if anybody is going to the marina to haul a boat out on a trailer from the slipway. I would give the marina a phone first for an update.

Also Park authority slipway at the Maid of the Loch is currently closed as no access to jetty due to flooding.

John
Back to top Go down
thecarboss

thecarboss

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 am

Just back from the marina

The main entrance road to the hotel is flooded and the road is closed from 100 yards from the entrance to the hotel recieption so go in through the rear balloch entrance.

The ramp to the pontoon is now an uphill walk as the loch is so high.

Just as a side note. I was checking my boat for the winter today and always check the autoswitch in the bilge and found the engine bay one was faulty, a close call as I wont be back up for a few weeks. Not that i had much water in there but you never know, always worth a check.

I have always had a spare on on the boat so managed to chenge it fine.
Back to top Go down
anjo

anjo

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 am

thecarboss wrote:
Just back from the marina

The main entrance road to the hotel is flooded and the road is closed from 100 yards from the entrance to the hotel recieption so go in through the rear balloch entrance.

The ramp to the pontoon is now an uphill walk as the loch is so high.

Just as a side note. I was checking my boat for the winter today and always check the autoswitch in the bilge and found the engine bay one was faulty, a close call as I wont be back up for a few weeks. Not that i had much water in there but you never know, always worth a check.

I have always had a spare on on the boat so managed to chenge it fine.

Paul,

The ramp to the marina was level when I arrived at lunch time, so the water level has risen a fair bit then as you say it has an incline now. Probably by tomorrow access to the marina pontoons will be closed as the ramp will be under the water.

Their is a back road to the rear of the hotel past the gardens for access when the main entrance is flooded or closed.I prefer just to use the servents entrance from the old Luss road, but that too gets flooded once the loch rises above the banks.

I am ssuming Duck Bay is flooded once again?

John
Back to top Go down
honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Just ordered more fenders to be on the safe side, need to get up early on sat to put them on.

Loch was pretty high on sunday when I was out, almost level to the back road when I was coming in.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Papa.T

Papa.T

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:26 pm

thanks for the info , am hoping to get up fri night/sat morn but long journey, so if anyones around on fri would be grateful of any updates, will ring marina staff, but always good to get the facts from others with their money tied up in the marina!!!
Back to top Go down
Jumpy07

Jumpy07

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:29 pm

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/Floodwarnings/floodwatch.aspx?id=9633

Argyll rivers and Loch Lomond
Flood warning information : F L O O D W A T C H

This statement was prepared on 24 November 2009 at 11:04 am.

A FLOOD WATCH has been issued for Argyll rivers and Loch Lomond.

Heavy and persistent rainfall is forecasted by the Met Office throughout today. Totals of 30-40mm are predicted with the possibility of up to 60mm on higher ground. With saturated catchment conditions as well as river and loch levels remaining high, the rivers and loch are likely to respond to the rainfall quickly.
Loch Lomond’s level remains high. Shoreline flooding of properties and roads in the Loch Lomond area, and localised flooding of low lying areas may be expected.

This FLOOD WATCH is now in force until further notice.

Please continue to keep an eye on the situation in your area and listen to local radio and television for further information.
Back to top Go down
Papa.T

Papa.T

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 pm

thanks for the link craig will keep watching
Back to top Go down
thecarboss

thecarboss

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 2:01 am

John the access ramp still has a few feet under it as of 5pm last night so will probably be OK.

The rear entrance from Balloch on the old Luss road is the one I used last night but anyone going in that way turn left as soon as you're in the gate and drive through the lodges, its high enough to avoid any flooding. Check with marina staff before you approach the complex

I came home via the A81 about 6pm last night from Glengoyne distillery to Strathblane was a nightmare 6-10 inches of flooding in well over 20 different places. There was branches and mud pouring in from the fields very surprised the road was not closed. Made for an interesting journey.

Paul
Back to top Go down
anjo

anjo

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 am

Paul,

I use that road all the time and great fun if you own a 4x4. Just blast through the floods especially if it is a diesel.

Seen a few cars yesterday stranded after driving through the flooded roads. Petrol cars seem to come to a halt in contact with water.

Latest update from SP----- Access from the Old Luss road is still accessible to the marina.
Back to top Go down
Jumpy07

Jumpy07

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:54 am

I dont think its been as bad as the forecast ..

Also forecast for next four days isnt too bad.. although getting colder.. so Loch shouldnt get any higher..

Leven is very high, but not as high as I have seen it.. Riverside Marina jetties are under water.. and Mayles Watersports its up to the fence.. well up the yard..

CJ
Back to top Go down
BIG ZEBEDEE

BIG ZEBEDEE

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Guys according to a website I use the worst is on us right now & will ease by morning some showers for tomorrow then dry but cold over weekend with moderate winds.
Just hover over the arrow where Lock lomond is & it gives you conditions from Bonhill data collector.
Sorry can't help you if you don't know where Loch Lomond is on the UK map as there is lots of arrows Shocked
If you do know where LL is then you've won a watch Very Happy

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast
Back to top Go down
http://www.cerysmatthews.co.uk/
BIG ZEBEDEE

BIG ZEBEDEE

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 6:46 am

No damage done I hope. Cracker of a day today, pity I'm nightshift. Hopefully The sun shines tues, wed or Thu as thats my days off & I really need a burn on the water.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cerysmatthews.co.uk/
honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 1:09 am

Don't think there was any damage during the high winds. I have placed a few extra fenders "just in case" ready for the next bad weather spell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Severe weather warning   Severe weather warning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Severe weather warning
Page 1 of 1