Cameron House Marina Members' Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Berthing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mickross2000

Mickross2000

Berthing Empty
PostSubject: Berthing   Berthing Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 am

Hi All,

Anyone else have a nightmare trying to berth even in the slightest wind? Being used to a smaller 18' bowrider it is taking time getting used to the characteristics of the larger craft.

Was just wondering if it is just me or whether other non Bow Thruster equipped vessels have the same issue?

Is there a trick I am missing??

Regards Mick Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Mickross2000 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding Polite end rather than the original abrupt one ! :-))
Back to top Go down
anjo

anjo

Berthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berthing   Berthing Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:37 am

I had the same issue with my Bayliner 285. Slightest bit of wind and I would be a couple of fingers down the leg. It mainly just takes paractice and alot of patience. Alway look at the flags around the marina to see which way the wind is coming from and point the bow into to wind. Boats with twins and bow thruster have the same problem as well. Another we tip is to have a rope on the midships cleat on the boat tied back to the stern and have it ready to loop around the cleat at the end of the finger. This will straightend you up on the fingerand then you can back into the berth.

If it is too windy I just go back out a wait for the wind to die down. Every boater has experienced what you have done and it mainly comes down to practice and alot of patience and listen to anybody who is on the finger to give you hand especially on the blind spots.

John
Back to top Go down
thecarboss

thecarboss

Berthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berthing   Berthing Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 am

Its all about practice but even when you think you've got it mastered a gust can throw the bow all over the place.

One tip is to try and judge the wind and allow an angle that the wind will straighted you up as you reverse and you should reverse with confidence and a bit of speed before jabbing her into forward to stop the reverse action. Turn as close to your berth as possible so that the wind can't blow you away from it.

Don't be too shy to ask for help as any member will be happy to help and usually without you having to ask anyway. We've all cocked it up a few times no matter how much experience.

I don't have thruster but always have a few fenders out and my 3 dock lines are permanently fixed to the pontoon so that i just hook them on and its job done.

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitemotorcompany.com
thecarboss

thecarboss

Berthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berthing   Berthing Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:25 am

Sorry Mick 3 easy things I forgot to metion.

1/ Don't be scared to use the walkways to tie up and wait for help or the wind to die down ( as long as you don't leave it unatended).

2/ Berth bow first until the weather changes, there are still lots of members who only berth bow in.

3/ Call the marina on your VHF if you don't see anyone to help, they are more than hapy to come down and get you berthed.

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitemotorcompany.com
Sponsored content

Berthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berthing   Berthing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Berthing
Page 1 of 1